Issue #107 October 2011
Bind In 21x29 Double Poster
D'Garage: Project Soaristo 1997 Lexus SC300
· The latest addition to the D Garage family is a hybrid. It s not the kind of hybrid that offers relatively high-gas mileage in exchange for your masculinity. Instead, it s the other kind that takes the best parts from a number of sources and assimilates them into a single platform. While DSPORT Marketing Assistant Vinh Nguyen s 1997 Lexus SC300 has a way to go before it can be considered complete, it now wears the Project Soaristo name with pride.
Quick Test: JWT 250MM SR20/KA24 Clutch System
· Factory KA24DE transmissions can often fail when torque levels are doubled thanks to turbocharging. For DSPORT s Project Coordinator Jeren Walker, a proactive solution was in order.
Second-Hand Steal: 606-HP 2009 Nissan GT-R Remixed For Track Duty
· 606.8whp, 660lb-ft
· Nissan did not drop a beat when it designed the R35 GT-R. However, when it was first released in Japan, the sticker price was well over $30,000 more than that of an R34 Skyline GT-R. Since then, the new-car sticker prices have not softened at the dealerships, making it an exclusive ride for the well-to-do. Fortunately, now that the R35 GT-R has been in production for a few years, building an R35 T-R for racing from a used car is now a more realistic venture.
2004 Mazda RX7 Rotary Revolution: Finding Time In Aerodynamics For The Record
· In Japan, the pursuit of time attack records has driven tuner shops and privateers alike to Tsukuba Circuit, the Mecca of time-attack competition. This benchmark circuit has been the battlefield where many a competitor has waged war against the clock in the hunt for class records. The highest honor is the overall track record, currently held by Nobuteru Taniguchi behind the wheel of the HKS CT230R EVO with a 0 53 589-second lap. This record has stood for over three years, with many tuners aiming for the title and the honor.
Tour De Fast: Hasemi Sport 2004 Nissan 350Z Captures The 2010 Super GT Cup
· 280bhp, 267lb-ft (Type E)
· Racing within the limits of a class means making sacrifices. While excessive amounts of power can be explored in unlimited racing classes, the limiting of power places more emphasis on the other facets of the system; overall weight, aerodynamics and ultimately, driver skill.
Replica Racer: MCR s 2009 Nissan R35 GT-R Takes to the Streets
· N/A whp, lb-ft
· The Nissan GT-R is the flagship of tuning prowess in Japan. While Nissan spent years developing the technology and refining the R35 platform prior to its release, the worldwide aftermarket could not wait to deconstruct the platform in search of ways to make it faster and more powerful.
A Rotary Takes On The GT300: Triple Rotor Super Seven 2004 Mazda RX7
· 305whp, 239lb-ft
· Arguably the most popular motorsport in all of Japan is the Super GT. Formerly known as the Japan Grand Touring Championship (JGTC), Super GT separates its competitors into classes by power output. Representation by nearly every Japanese vehicle manufacturer is evident in GT300 or GT500 classes. In a piston-dominated field, one team dares to defy, team RE:Amemiya. Isami Amemiya, whose rotor-powered creations range from sexy to strange has been a rotary specialist since 1974. He alone has braved the Super GT circuit with screaming rotaries and has done so successfully.
Not Ready For Retirement: Yamanaka s 1998 Nissan Silvia Still Sliding
· 440whp, 372lb-ft
· One of the most iconic platforms in Japanese motorsports is Nissan s Silvia. Over the course of more than 10 years, it has been used in a variety of motorsports from Super GT (JGTC) to underground drifting. The Japanese-spec Silvia has come equipped with variations of the SR20DET engine since 1991. The SR20DET is arguably Japan s favorite 2.0 liter and has garnered a loyal following. This loyalty has driven tuners and manufacturers to continue product development nine years after Nissan ceased production of the engine.
Living The Dream: Life in Tokyo from the JDM Insider (Toshi Hayama)
· Everyone always asks me what it s like to live in Japan. The answer isn t that simple. But considering that I ve been living in the heart of Tokyo for the past four years, I can hopefully provide some insight. After explaining how I got here and what I ve been doing here, you should be able to make a determination if living in Japan is for you.
Formula D 2011 Round 5: Evergreen Speedway, Monroe, WA
· Drifters returned to the west coast to kick off the second half of the Formula Drift season at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, Washington. The 2011 championship has had Formula D s drivers competing for points in hopes of moving up the standings throughout the year.